Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: [DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2 Next: Re: [FT] NAC, NSL, FSE, ESU Fighters

Re: [FT] Sensors, FTL and other stuff (long)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@p...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 09:11:14 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Sensors, FTL and other stuff (long)

Denny Graver wrote:

> Therefore to jump in relative safety, ships would travel at least 42"
apart
> (ships always scatter on re-entry).

XXX
     I have always considered the fleets to jump to a location outside
of the
'board', where they 'form up'  and proceed to the desired location.
JTL
XXX
> Normal sensor rules allow detection (scanning attempts possible)at up
to 54"
> for military sensors, and 36" for Civilian.
>
> I'll be using a further doubling of those ranges to allow for long
range
> sensors - you know its there, but you can only guess what it is until
within
> normal sensor range.	 Powered down ships halve detection range.
XXX
     to make things simple for you, use a base range of 60 inches and
double/
halve from there.   In my current campaign the sensor ranges are doubled
by
buying the next sensor grade.	(It gives the advanced sensors a reason
exist.)   (ECM halves the sensor range, but ECM cannot be 'stacked' to
give
double ECM effect.)   JTL
XXX
> Also when making scanning attempts you get one Sensor point per fire
control
> active at the start of the turn. A sensor point may be used to scan a
ship
> within range as normal, or to cancel out your ship automatically being
> highlighted when you scan another ship.
XXX
     Personal comment: I have always considered the concept that if a
ship is using its sensors on you, you get to know what type of ship
is doing the scanning, to be completely silly.	 JTL
XXX

> Given the future tech, could an enemy ship intercept a communication
from
> the enemy?
XXX
     The trick is not in the interception, it is in the instant decoding
to obtain the message, and act to prevent the implementation of the
plan.
JTL
XXX

> As I see it encryption would make these coms unreadable and therefore
> unusable by the enemy, unless they had the appropriate codes, knew the
> language etc. Anyone know the real world capabilities in these areas ?

XXX
     Given enough time any code can be broken.	 JTL
XXX

> P.s.	A note to players - The KV so far appear to be separatists
confident
> in their individual prowess at choosing fleets, whereas the Humans are
> united in their desire to build effective fleets and are
communicating.	Is
> this a War-Family thing I wonder?

XXX
     As a matter of honor, the final contestant squadrons have been
signaled
to the High Queen and the other clans.	 We do not expect a response for
the
other clans.	JTL
XXX
> Also a reminder that the closing date for fleet entries is Friday 12th
March
> 1800 GMT
> I am still undecided as whether to split the players into 2  games or
not.
> We shall see.
XXX
     The victor of the contest for supremecy shall be transmitted upon
completion of the contest.  (The alternate will also be named, if he
recovers in time.)  JTL
XXX
> Thanks for listening.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] Re: [DS2] FMA Enhancement for DS2 Next: Re: [FT] NAC, NSL, FSE, ESU Fighters