Prev: [FT] AAR-IF vs NRE Next: Re: [FT] AAR-IF vs NRE

Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 23:45:34 +1000
Subject: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat

Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:

> Keith Watt wrote:
> >    Several people have asked me to post the details of the realistic
rules
> > (they aren't really much of a rules modification so much as a way to
> > explain the current rules with real physics) that I use for Solar
Thrust.

> > The main page URL is:
> > http://www.erols.com/kwatt/SolarThrust

>	  Have you ever played SPI's BATTLEFLEET MARS?	It includes
>	  a reasonably accurate map of the solar system out to Jupiter,
>	  with rules for moving the planets and major asteroids.
>	  You can actually use the included formulae to set the map
>	  up with some accuracy for all dates plus or minus about
>	  500 years.
>	  The game also includes abstract rules for strategic
>	  movement.

BFM BTW uses Ion drives for strategic movement, with chemical rockets
for tactical movement. Thus a ship may do 0.01g for 2 months (to
turnover) then 0.01 for another 1 3/4 months to decelerate, then a few
minutes of 1-4g in combat.
A very large proportion of each ship is fuel, and one of the things to
master in the game is to make sure your 3-D vector is appropriate in
both direction and magnitude, so even if your fuel tanks get zapped
you're still going in approximately the right direction.

--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: [FT] AAR-IF vs NRE Next: Re: [FT] AAR-IF vs NRE