Prev: Re: FT: FB2 Preview - Obi Wan Tuffley Next: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat

[FT] AAR-IF vs NRE

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 08:35:42 -0500
Subject: [FT] AAR-IF vs NRE

Drove up to see John Atkinson off before he goes to Neu Swabia, and
somehow
<g> a FT game got started.  Roughly 1200 points on a side.  6 IF ships,
all
Thrust 6, weak hull, no FTL, 3 with 5 SMR+ 1 Class2 and 3 with 8 Class 2
beams; plus an IF civilian tug.  NRE forces were a DesRon, about 12
ships of
frigate/destroyer size.
Set up on more or less opposing courses, closing speed about 10 MU.  NRE
in
a cluster, my ships in two squadrons by type with the tug in the rear.
Turn 1, both sides accelerate towards each other.  I win initiative and
start rolling clumps of eight dice.  John realizes why I bring my own
dice,
but nothng is killed although three of his ships are hurting--two of his
four missile destroyers fail systems checks and their missiles go
offline.
Return fire scratches IF paint.
Turn 2.  SLM time, and there's no point in being subtle.  John knew I
had 15
salvos, but he still grew pale as I started setting out "one here, one
here,
two here, two here, one here..."  About half a dozen of his ships were
seriously damaged.  One of them bravely acted as a banzai jammer,
soaking up
fourteen individual missiles (the first four rolls were 6,4,4,6...more
rolls
weren't needed).  Meanwhile, I maneuvered exactly into his two missile
salvos (I, er, *meant* to do that, just to make you feel good, John!).
Beam
time, again I win initiative, and this time we're within 12 inches.  16
beam
dice make themselves known.  IF Weak hulls also make themselves known as
return fire eventually nickel-and-dimes two of my three beam ships into
small nebulae.
Turn 3.  John's ships all ended up swarmed around my tug, which jumped
out,
so to speak, in a very final way.  My other ships were out of range.
Given
that I had a 3 hour drive back and it was midnight, we called it.
Two IF warships and a tug destroyed, the other four essentially
untouched;
three NRE DD and a FF destroyed, several others ready for the ship
breakers,
only two untouched.  Three of mine surviving were missile ships, though,
with only a Class 2 each remaining.  Tactically, I'd say I was somewhat
ahead; strategically, loing the tug was fatal.
This was my first (yes, first) live game against an opponent other than
myself, and I missed having my spreadsheets for move predictions.   I
also
need to think more about my opponent's probable moves from his point of
view.  I might should have varied my weapons mix just a bit, also,
although
I was very pleased with my Beam ships.
Large numbers of SMR's make for a very short game--either they're in the
right place, or you lose.  On the other hand, banzai jamming is the only
defense against large numbers of SMR; PDS helps, of course, but it takes
4
PDS to kill ONE salvo on average.

Bon Voyage, John.
--Chris  DeBoe laserlight@cwix.com
Personal Site: www.angelfire.com/va/laserlight/index.html
Quixtar(sm) Pre-Launch Site: www.countdown9199.com

Prev: Re: FT: FB2 Preview - Obi Wan Tuffley Next: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat