Prev: [FT]AAR - Last month's CTF scenario Next: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat

Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 07:42:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat

Keith Watt wrote:
>    Several people have asked me to post the details of the realistic
rules
> (they aren't really much of a rules modification so much as a way to
> explain the current rules with real physics) that I use for Solar
Thrust.
> The derivations are algebra-heavy, but aren't necessary unless you
want to
> design your own engines.  I made a table of typical engines for
comparison
> at the bottom of the engines article.  Fuel consuption rules and their
> accompanying derivation are there, as are the background and history
for
> the Solar System in 2063.  I'm working on the strategic movement rates
> now.	Feedback would be very welcome!  The main page URL is:
> http://www.erols.com/kwatt/SolarThrust

	I haven't had a chance to examine these fully, but I am
	*very* impressed!   (but then again, I do have a hobby
	of collecting Isp and deltaVee information about
	various propulstion systems)

	The future history and scenarios are quite well realized
	and engrossing.  Lots of scope for great scenarios
	in there.

	Have you ever played SPI's BATTLEFLEET MARS?  It includes
	a reasonably accurate map of the solar system out to Jupiter,
	with rules for moving the planets and major asteroids.
	You can actually use the included formulae to set the map
	up with some accuracy for all dates plus or minus about
	500 years.
	The game also includes abstract rules for strategic
	movement.

	I wonder if it could be used as the strategic movement
	part of a Solar Thrust campaign?

Prev: [FT]AAR - Last month's CTF scenario Next: Re: [FT] Solar Thrust, fuel consumption, and realistic space combat