Prev: Re: [FT] Alarishi Sovereignity Report Next: ORION RISING ~ April 23-25

Hobby Paints - re liquitex?

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 12:51:57 -0500
Subject: Hobby Paints - re liquitex?

>Has anyone on the list (or off the list) have experience painting minis

>with Liquitext Acrylics (or any other artist quality acrylics).

I've used some "artist" acrylics a small bit - mostly for very bright
detail colours on insignia markings, etc.  They do take longer to dry -
but
I think the "hobby" acrylics are formulated to dry fast on purpose, so
you
can work over small areas on a miniature without having to wait 15
minutes
between coats.	Yes they dry fast on your pallette - that's the tradeoff
for having them dry fast on the model.

I've had good success with a line of paints from a Canadian company
called
"Global Games".  They produced, among other things, a miniature game
called
"Legions of Steel" which was awful (though it had great floor-map
templates
for  bunkers/starship corridors/etc).  Their paints were very good,
though.
 Their black and white are among the best I've used, being especially
flat
(which I like for "military" figs like SGII, as opposed to GW-style
scifi/fantasy stuff).  The paint comes in small bottles with a top like
an
eye dropper (ie small nozzle with small cap, easy to get a precise
amount
on your pallette, etc).  The quantity is about double a GW bottle, and
the
cost is about the same per bottle as GW.  The range included a wide
variety
of colours, including some great military colours like olive drab, flat
earth browns, etc - stuff that the GWs of the world don't make.  They
also
produced a range of inks, which I have not used and can't speak for
(though
they come in the same easy-to-use containers).	And they sell empty
paint
containers - I can't emphasize enough how convenient and useful these
containers are.

Only problem - Global Games went under sometime late last year.

Their paints are still available, and Crazy Igor's in the US still has a
good selection (check out their website - I found them at
www.crazyigor.com
- did a search under "paint" and then looked for GGC - their code for
Global Games Company).	They have good prices for stuff, too.

Prev: Re: [FT] Alarishi Sovereignity Report Next: ORION RISING ~ April 23-25