Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet design (Was Re: Alarishi Home Page) Next: Sa'Vasku painting was: (RE: [FT] More Thrust Cover)

Re: [FT] More Thrust Cover

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:44:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] More Thrust Cover

At 05:42 PM 2/27/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>I suppose that Jon would be the best person to ask this of, but
someone
>>else might know the answer as well: How was the ship on the cover of
More
>>Thrust painted?  The panels are far too smooth, and the lines seem far
too
>>regular, to be the result of drybrushing.  My guess is that the panel
lines
>>were individually picked out, either with a brush or a fine-point pen,
but
>>I am hoping otherwise.  I could manage that on a *few* ships, but
doing
>>that to an entire fleet would drive me mad--and I really like the way
that
>>it looks.
>
>The FT108 on the MT cover was painted by Dave Garnham (who now works
for us
>at GZG), many years ago. As far as I can remember, it was painted
overall
>blue and then each raised panel individually painted in white (with a
>brush), which is the way Dave likes to do ships - yes, it's a slow
method
>but one that gives very good results. Much neater than the reverse
method
>you mention above.  If anyone wants more tips I can ask Dave about it
on
>Monday!
>
>Jon (GZG)

Thanks, and that was what I had expected to hear.  Any furhter details
would be great, though.  I currently use the ever-popular "Spraypaint
the
base color, and then drybrush" method, which works but could be better.
On
the other hand, it's resulted in a lot of painted ships, so I have no
real
room for complaint.  I've ended up with a lot of really spectacular
looking
merchant and commercial ships, because I can spend a lot of time making
them look good without having to do it over and over again.  I'll have
try Kevin Walker's technique, though, and spend some more time doing
multiple coats when I drybrush.

On a semi-related note, has anyone come up with a Sa'Vasku paint scheme
that they'd like to share?  I've got a whole bunch of them now, and I'm
not
sure how to approach them.  I'm going to grab some books about insects
and
crustaceans from work tomorrow, and see if I can find any inspiration
there, but it's always good to hear suggestions from others.

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet design (Was Re: Alarishi Home Page) Next: Sa'Vasku painting was: (RE: [FT] More Thrust Cover)