Prev: Casting in metal vs. plastics (was: Re: [DSII] Genre) Next: Re: [DSII] Genre

Re: [DSII] Genre

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:47:17 +0000
Subject: Re: [DSII] Genre

> >    Metal moulding only requires a mould that is easy to make, so
making the
> >start up costs low. In most cases of figure moulding, the mould is
destroyed
> >to remove the moulded items.
>
> Well... the rubber molds aren't completely destroyed, usually, but do
start
> to wear.  They'll especially wear if you take advantage of rubber's
ability
> to bend, which does let you add more detail (i.e. a fold in a robe)
that's
> off the parting line, but that'll go away faster than normal.

We use fairly soft RTV rubber moulds, probably a bit softer than the
ones Jon
uses at GZG (but easier to produce). After more than three years of use,
the
first ones are starting to wear out, so I guess we've had several
thousand plus
castings from each one before they've given up the ghost. The biggest
problem is,
as stated above, that too much undercut detail can cause the mould to be
torn if
you're not gentle enough when taking the castings out. The main reason
we've had
to replace moulds is damage caused by careless handling rather than
wear.

Tony

Prev: Casting in metal vs. plastics (was: Re: [DSII] Genre) Next: Re: [DSII] Genre