Prev: RE: Fighters for FT Next: Re: [OT] Re: [ADMIN] List mods

Re: Fighters for FT

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:01:19 -0600
Subject: Re: Fighters for FT

Magnus sez:
***
I played a fast fighter game based on Blue Max rules, with Star Wars
Micro Machines.

I was just wondering if there are any nice fighter rules... You know
like dogfight games. We enjoyed the Star Max (tm) games tremedously and
we'd appreciate a tip on some rules.
***

Out of print, but occasionally available in net auctions, is a boxed
game called
Star Warriors. Rules for Star Wars space combat with some tie-ins to the
Star
Wars RPG. I've only played a few times, but thought they worked well
enough, and
had nice flavor. Nothing you may not have done quite well on your own,
though.
Blue Max seems very adaptable.

Similar fighter games include FASA's Top Gun, Battlestar Galactica, and
The Last
Starfighter boxed board games. BG, instead of the canned maneuvers, uses
programmed sheets, but these are MUCH simpler than most. Circle triangle
for
turn left or right...

***
I got hold of a copy of Star Strilke (?) a couple of years back for a
couple of bucks. I packed it when I moved and haven't opened the box.
Anyone got any experience from that game? I think it was made by those
who did Role Master RPG, Iron Crown?
***

Star Master, the RPG, tended towards complexity to the point it was
known, like
RM, as Table Master for the constant looking up in long, complex tables.
Star
Strike, for which a line of lead ships were produced, did have similar
complexity issues. The figs were rolled into a much simpler, and quite
popular
system known as Silent Death. This is in a second incarnation. I've
played, but
don't much enjoy the game myself. Have several of the figs that are
planned to
be FT ships, though.

FT with it's cinematic movement seems, actually, to be a very good game
for
playing movie-style dogfighting, especially if you stay with the FTII
fire arcs
with blind rear. Just don't even mention big ships, or make one edge of
the
board a star destroyer, rebel cruiser, etc. I suspect there are SSD's
somewhere
on the web, but I can only find fighters as fighters, and stats for the
bigger
ships.

If you come up with your own, please be sure to share them with us. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: RE: Fighters for FT Next: Re: [OT] Re: [ADMIN] List mods