Prev: Re: Starmap wave 4 Next: Re: Starmap wave 4

Re: Starmap wave 4

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:48:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Starmap wave 4

Laserlight wrote:

> I always thought of the NRE flag as being gold on purple, which would
fit in
> with the hubris of re-founding the Byzantine Empire (grin) and would
also
> keep down the crop of red-and-whites.  One of the emperors of the
historical
> Byzantine Empire was Constantine Porphyrogenitas--"born to the
purple", more
> or less.

The NRE is extremely casual about such things.	Gold on white, Gold on
Purple, Purple on White, White on Purple, all are used more or less
interchangably.  In all cases the Purple is a reddish purple.  National
insignia tends to have standardized on the Chi-Rho, but even variations
on that are accepted.  Remember, the Roman Empire never really got into
the Heraldry thing as strictly as it happened in the West.  I guess for
the 'official' one (to satisfy the UN, which is mostly run by those
heraldry-obsessed Westerners), it would have to be Gold on White, those
being the colors of the Coat of Arms of the Late Empire (1300s and on).
Eagles, both one and two-headed are used as symbols of the Emperor
himself, not the Empire.  :)

> The Saieed Khalifate would probably go with a green field bearing a
gold
> crescent and star.

Probably.

John M. atkinson

Prev: Re: Starmap wave 4 Next: Re: Starmap wave 4