Prev: Re: Space Stations Next: Re: OT: You guys aren't going to believe this....

Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:46:37 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Manuever warfare was:Anti-Tank guns

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 DracSpy@aol.com wrote:

> Desert Storm was a walk in the park with a L7A3 and someone with a 1"
knive
> trying to mug you, not all that dificult, I know that ~400 people were
killed
> in action,

and, iirc, most were killed by friendly fire.

> One of the things that I addressed with the Arty and Air support is
having
> them at the company level, each company has 4 Attack helos and 2 Med
MRLS
> launchers, that should make getting supporting arty much easer.

this makes a good deal of sense - the marines, as has been mentioned,
have
very effective fire support because it is available to them as just
another tactical option, rather than as a complicated ritual. whether
this
could be done with the use of computers instead is another question. if
you can point your designator at something, then there should be a
button
on your tactical computer (probably marked "SMITE" or some such) the
pressing of which will send a message to the artillery fire control
computer and get the rounds on their way. obviously, there'll be
supervision of fire requests, etc, but as it stands there are far too
many
humans in the loop here!

Tom

Prev: Re: Space Stations Next: Re: OT: You guys aren't going to believe this....