Prev: Re: [DS2,SG2] Future Tank Next: Re: [DS2,SG2] Future Tank

Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:48:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS2] Anti-Tank guns

DracSpy@aol.com wrote:

> In Steel Panthers II the Anti-Tank guns a very usefull idea, they work
really
> well with Air Defence Vehicles and a slope that you can hide behind. I
have
> done a little bit of simming with DS2 with this idea, and it works,
something
> that Gawain will be using to defend its self from the NAC forces.

Steel Panthers is really starting to get on my nerves. . .  Steel
Panthers is missing a number of vital elements, including real aerial
reconaissance and IPB, as well as mangling the relationships of various
units (note recent discussion about Patriot batteries providing direct
support to a maneuver batallion, which would only happen in someone's
drug-induced fantasies).  In a DSII environment with drones, 100%
orbital recon coverage (at least for a set-piece planetary assault--I
wouldn't put troopers on the ground until I had plinked all the bad
guy's sattelites and had mine in place), and a lot of aerospace
fighters, the reverse slope defense is going to be damned difficult.  It
relys on the bad guys coming over the ridge from the right direction,
fat dumb and happy, and blundering into the kill zone.	With decent
intel, he's going to maneuver to come at you from a different angle.
And you can't shift your forces to meet him, because your prime movers
are trucks, and trucks tend to die rather loudly when they get in front
of tanks.  This sucks for the AT gunners--when their prime mover dies,
I'd have them rolling a TL+3 confidence check.

Final Note:  Nickname of Russkie towed AT units in WWII was "Farewell,
Motherland".

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [DS2,SG2] Future Tank Next: Re: [DS2,SG2] Future Tank