Prev: Re: Inner Colonies Next: Re: [FT] AAR: NCS meets KV

[FT] AAR: NCS meets KV

From: "jim clem" <travmind@h...>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:59:31 PST
Subject: [FT] AAR: NCS meets KV

Ok, heres the results of my first FT game.  We used FB rules, and
cinematic movement, as well as the FB Kra'Vak from someone's site,
forgive me, I forgot his name.

As always, comments desired and welcome.

AAR: NCS scout group meets Kra'Vak scouts

Date:		12 October, 2184
Location:	LTT 6104
NCS units:	First Privateer Scout Fleet, First Scout Group,
Detached,
		NCSS 102 Eliza G., NCSS 103 Wasp
KV units:	3xScout class vessels

(From the log buoy of the Eliza G., NCSS 102, Elizabeth Garnett, Cpt.)

10/12/2184:0145

Captain Garnett sat quietly on the bridge of the privateer Eliza G.
Three thousand klicks off the starboard bow sat the Wasp, and 15 minutes

ago their comrades, the little Firefly and that oddball, Experiment, had

jumped outbound, headed for their first waypoint, looking for the
Kra'Vak.  She turned to her XO..........

"Harrison?  Time to jump?"  Commander Harrison, lately of the NCSS
Resolute, glanced her way.  "We're at J minus 55 minutes Cap'n.  The
crew is just finishing up mess, getting ready for jump now.  Everythings

on schedule.  Would the Cap'n care to get a bite first?"  Garnett turned

in her seat.  Harrison had been something of a pain since his posting
here.  Of course, he'd rather be commanding one of the new ironclads,
but instead he'd been sent to her, half navy rep, half watchdog.  Of
course, she couldn't blame them.  Until 6 months ago, she'd been one of
their worst enemies, smuggling arms in to one of the militia groups
turned pirates.  Then she'd jumped into Dixie, right in the middle of an

ironclad squadron, and that had been that.  She guessed she should thank

the Kra'Vak, since their aggression had kept her from being tried and
summarily hung.  Even the marine unit on board was navy.  Oh well, at
least she was still in the captain's seat.  "No thank you XO.  I prefer
to jump on an empty stomach, never could help the nausea.  Navigation,
how are the next set of plots com..." and she was interrupted by the
proximity klaxon.   The bridge bounded into action as she asked,
"Sensors?  What do you have?"  "Cap'n, we got two, no ma'm, three bogies

just coming out of jump, range 2 light seconds.  They're boosting now
ma'm, changing course, coming about to, ummm, intercept course on us
ma'm.  Cap'n!  ID looks like KV, similar to the sigs we got from the
Swabbies last month.  We got some bad company."  Garnett cursed, "Battle

stations.  Get me Wasp, looks like they found us
first."..........................

This scenario re-creates the first encounter between the NCS and
Kra'Vak.  Three KV scouts jumped into LTT 6104 just in time to meet
elements of the First Privateer Scout Fleet, under Captain Elizabeth
Garnett.  The Eliza G. and the Wasp are modified freighters, former
smugglers turned naval auxiliaries.  Their orders are to locate any KV
units in surrounding systems and report back.  The KV have arrived with
three Lu'Dak scouts, whose orders are to get intel on any human ships in

the area.  As such, the KV must have at least one ship get to within 6
of any human ship, then exit any side of the board.  The humans must try

to stop this, and get at least one ship off the board.

The board is 50 inches square, with the Eliza G. and Wasp sitting
somewhere withing 6 of the center, speed 0, heading at captain's
discretion.  Then the KV enter from any side, heading to intercept the
humans, speed 10.  And so it begins......

Turn 1:

I took the humans.  The Eliza G. and Wasp are 3 MU apart, heading 12.
The KV entered from the right side (from direction 3), speed 10.  The KV

charged straight in, hoping to get their data and continue to run on by
and off the other side.  Wasp accelerated to speed 6, heading 12,
intending to run off board, to get the warning out.  Eliza G. spun on
her axis, to heading 3, bringing her "lance", a class 4 beam (where
Garnett got it, she'll never tell), and opened fire on the center KV.  I

rolled 3, 4, 2 doing only 1 point of damage.  The Wasp fired 3 class 2s
at the KV nearest her, rolling 3, 3, 6.  The re-roll was a 5, so she did

three points, and creating two threshold rolls.  The KV lost one of his
scatterguns and its FTL drive.	The KV are not yet within scattergun
range.

Turn 2:

I get the initiative.  The Wasp begins a turn to starboard, the Eliza G.

accelerates to speed 4, heading 3.  The KV continue on heading 9, speed
10.  This places the Eliza G. right in front of them, range 1 from the
center KV.  She fires her lance at the center, and a pair of sub packs
at each of the flankers.  The lance rolls 2, 1, 2, 4 and does 1 point.
The KV rolls damage, but loses no systems.  The port sub packs roll a
total of 16 points, and that KV explodes.  The starboard sub packs roll
a total of 27 (!!!!) Points, and that KV explodes.  The remaining KV
responds with three scatterguns, rolling 9 points, killing the Eliza G.

The Wasp is now at range 14 from the KV, speed 6, heading 3.  She fires
three class 2s, rolling 2, 2, 6.  The re roll is 5, so she does 3
points.  The KV rolls thresholds, gets two sixes and a five.  This kills

the firecon, ftl and one hit on the MD.  The KV is screaming at this
point.

Turn 3:

The KV get initiative.	The Lu'Dak accelerates to speed 14, heading 9.
The Wasp continues her starboard turn, speed 6.  This puts the KV out of

beam range.  We decide to let the KV roll to fix his FTL, and continue
to see if the Wasp can catch him in time.    Sadly, the KV roll a six
for damcon (grrrr).  We stop at this point, since the Wasp has no chance

of getting within SMR range in time to stop him from jumping.

Warning to the NCS, The Kra'Vak are coming!  The Kra'Vak are coming!
The Kra'Vak are coming!

Comments:

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!  Ahem, sorry, got a little carried away there.
Anyway, clearly the scatterguns and sub packs are truly wicked at close
range.	Also, I need to have the NCS begin a program of strengthening
their ships hulls.  Those fragile hulls are just that, fragile.  This is

one of the easiest games I've ever played.  Nothing like the days of
SFB, where a single turn took longer than this entire game's setup and
play.  The big honking Class 4 was not nearly as dangerous as I'd hoped.

I should have started moving the Eliza G. on turn one, though that might

not have made much difference.	Ah well, live and learn (or is that die
and learn)?  Anyway, this is fun, looking forward to more of it.  Here
are the stats for the Wasp and Eliza G.  BTW, in the excitement I
totally failed to use the Eliza G.'s needle beam (DOH!!)  The KV were
the FB versions from, ummmm, darn I forgot his name.  Anyway, they were
the Lu'Dak from his website.  Thanks for the work you've done on that.
Nasty little critters they are!

Technical Specifications:
Class name: Eliza G.
Classification: Privateer
Hull Type [Integrity]: Fragile [5]
Crew Officers: 8
	  Ratings: 39
Crew Factor: 2
Armaments: 1xClass 4 (F), 1xNeedle (F), 4xSub-pack (F)
Defenses: None
Sensor Suite: Standard sensors, 2xFirecon
Drive Systems: MD 4
		  FTL

TMF: 47
NPV: 135

Technical Specifications:
Class name: Wasp
Classification: Privateer
Hull Type [Integrity]: Fragile [5]
Crew Officers: 10
	  Ratings: 40
Crew Factor: 3
Armaments: 3xClass 2 (6-arc), 2xSMR
Defenses: None
Sensor Suite: Standard sensors, 2xFirecon
Drive Systems: MD 6
		  FTL

TMF: 50
NPV: 153

Jim Clem, B.S.E.
Main Site:  http://www.geocities.com/area51/stargate/2891
Full Thrust:  http://www.geocities.com/area51/stargate/2891/ncs.html

"Only the incompetent wait until the last extremity to use
force, and by then, it is usually too late to use anything,
even prayer." -- H. Beam Piper

Prev: Re: Inner Colonies Next: Re: [FT] AAR: NCS meets KV