Prev: RE: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species Next: RE: ISO Hammer's Slammers

Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

From: devans@u...
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 12:12:00 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

Thomas, all points good and true, though our experience with
non-terresterial
eco-systems is speculative at best. ;->= A few quibbles, though.

The beasties would be there if the ecology itself were terribly
competitive; no
need for hive mind in such a case.

While the quote involving fleas having fleas having fleas resonates in
my mind,
there may be no micro-organism to become a threat to humans, or the body
chemistry may be so different as to make infection impossible.

The latter would suggest that large preditors would find humans
unpalatable, or
'smell' so wrong as to make attack unlikely. Not things I'd like to
stake my
life on, though; the dumb brutes might well make mistakes.

Large, established colonies would seem to require the terraforming you'd
suggest, but the smaller ones oft mentioned in GZG, either nascient or
speciality-driven, would tend to take what they find.

All of the above would require special fluff..., er, 'background', but
perfectly
understandable for good scenerio/campaign building.

The_Beast

Prev: RE: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species Next: RE: ISO Hammer's Slammers