Prev: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species Next: Re: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

RE: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

From: Binhan Lin <Lin@R...>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:01:42 -0700
Subject: RE: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

I kind of like the deathworld type idea - many authors have used
the concept and so there is a bunch of backgrounds to choose
from.  Some examples are:

David Drake - The future Venus in the Surface Action series where
the high UV has generated a rapid mutation rate the in turn has
generated a fierce ecosystem that is constantly battling with itself
and humans are just obstacles caught in the middle.  Check out
the descriptions of the shore bases with howitzers and flame-throwers
to keep -the plants!- from rushing in.

Harry Harrison - The Deathworld trilogy.  Another good set for vicious
worlds.  It's been a while, but I think one of them was driven by an
over
mind.

Tuf Voyaging by ???(something Martin I think).	A story of a trader
turned planetary ecological engineer who intervenes in an escalating
ecological war.  Interesting source for the conflict and interesting
creatures as weapons.

There are probably others as well and I would interesting in hearing
about them.

These ideas could generate some interesting scenarios - things
like crashing on a death planet and having to get to the research
station
alive or basic defense of a colony from the rushing hordes as the last
few colonists are being evacuated, or escorting a scientist to acquire
a "sample" for the bio-weapons division.

--Binhan