Prev: Re: (FT) Unofficial NSL Order of Battle Jannary 01,2083 Next: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b

[SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 15:11:55 -0500
Subject: [SG,DS, Colonial] Invasive Species

Can you believe I've got something _else_ to say re: DS and SG? I can't.

>From the media:
President Clinton yesterday (2/3) signed an executive
order to coordinate federal efforts to address the growing
environmental and economic threat of invasive species. The
order instructs federal agencies to avoid authorizing or
funding activities that are likely to cause or promote the
spread of invasive species. It also creates an Invasive
Species Council that is charged to develop a comprehensive
plan to minimize the economic, ecological, and human health
impacts of invasive species and to determine further steps
to prevent the introduction and spread of additional
invasive species.

SG/DS Notes
Human colonists/livestock, etc. are Invasive species in most any
pristine planetary ecosystem. Surely some ecosystems have similar
policies as the new US policy.	What would a SG/DS scenario where the
planet's indigenous life seeks to evict the newcomers look like? Enemy
units would not be military per se, but anything from insect swarms to
killer plants, to Armored Elephantine Behemoths.

Colonial Notes:
Human agriculture is almost definitely going to be "invasive" to new
ecosystems. Part of the  challenge of colonial survival is making sure
you can sustain your food. Another thought about the Class M stars is
that the sunlight will be UV poor for green growing things. Perhaps a
different take on the modulation of sunlight is what's really needed.
Instead of Satellites illuminating cities, we need full spectrum
'stadium lights' illuminating terrestrial crops during the daytime. And
Or engineered crops that can thrive under the new world's conditions.

Noam

Noam R. Izenberg		noam.izenberg@jhuapl.edu

Prev: Re: (FT) Unofficial NSL Order of Battle Jannary 01,2083 Next: Re: [FT] Replacement Boarding Rules v1.0b