Prev: Re: (FT) Unofficial NSL Order of Battle Jannary 01,2083 Next: Re: Cheese Fleet

Re: [SGII] Random thoughts on Colonials

From: "Thomas Barclay" <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 14:18:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] Random thoughts on Colonials

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> It seems to me that for those nations concerned about revolts, and
> wishing to retain the ability to disarm these colonists should it
become
> necessary (like, after you went an imposed a tax on computor datachips
> or tea or something else vital), the ideal Colonial weapon would be
> laser rifles or carbines.  We see that the impact of the laser sniper
> rifle is low (d6), it's unlikely any other laser weapons would be any
> better.

That's a fair statement, although hand-loadable rifles like a basic
semiauto (along the lines of a modernized accurized Garrand) might be
a very serviceable choice also. And shotguns.

  Not a real problem when shooting at wild animals, criminals
> (unlikely to be equipped with military body armor), and colonists of
> rival powers, but grave difficulty penetrating the armor of Regulars
> with full body armor.  Very accurate, even in the hands of relatively
> inexperienced shots, especially since it could include a low-power
> spotting mode (Button you press with your thumb puts a red dot on the
> target, trigger just ups the setting).  And it uses power packs which
> can be recharged from the solar cells on the roof of your cabin.

Or in the back of your ATV. Or from the local power grid in times of
civil defense emergency.

  Likely
> to be FP 1, Imp d6.  Downside is that repairing it if it gets broken
is
> likely to be a bit difficult.

Not necessariliy - you would make it robust (lasers have been around
a long time by 2183). You would make it cheap. And you would either
take a small piece of CAM machinery that could make the components,
or bins of spares for these items for your colony.

> As a secondary note, the NRE prefers to sell subsidized 7mm ETC
assault
> rifles, on the grounds of ammo commonality with Akritai and formal
> militias.  Of course, their ideal is that any settlement would have a
> formal militia structure as well.

Of course, places like the FCT colonies and other places where the
right to bear arms is a cultural norm might have a vast variety (up
to an including GMS systems and SAWs) in the hands of colonists.
Standardization might not be important as everyone may maintain there
own stock of ammo and repair tools.  This strikes me as a kind of
"Pioneer/Individualist" thing.

It really depends on
1) flavor of those establishing the colony (the colonists)
2) flavor of those organizing and paying for the colony (colonists,
politicos from major or minor powers, corporates, other kinds of
ideological backers with money, etc)
3) security situation on target planet (indigenous life forms,
military threats, resource value, etc)

All of these will contribute to the weapons control policy on any
particular colony world.

Thomas.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: (FT) Unofficial NSL Order of Battle Jannary 01,2083 Next: Re: Cheese Fleet