Prev: RE: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .) Next: Re: Kzinti Miniatures

[FT] OFFICAL RULING REQUEST (was Re: Couple of questions)

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:41:07 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [FT] OFFICAL RULING REQUEST (was Re: Couple of questions)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> -MWS- wrote:
>
> > Only to a point - consider this:  MT Missiles *still* require a
6-only
> > hit with PDS / Class 1 / Screening Fighters.
>
> Wrong. An MT missile is, by definition, a "missile", and PDS kills one
> "missile" on a roll of 4 or 5, two on a roll of 6. Since the rule
doesn't
> speak of "missile salvoes" (in contrast to eg. the "Interception of
> missiles by fighters" which does), both types are included.

Wrong right back at you.  Read the section on PDS - page 7 of the FB
rules -
*carefully*.  The example specifically states "if two PDS are allocated
against a single missile >SALVO<" [emphasis is mine].

Since it is impossible to kill two MT missiles with a single PDS, the
rules
allowing a 6 to give two missile kills makes no sense whatsoever.  As a
result, the old rules in MT stating that PDAFs - and by extension PDS -
require a 6 to kill an MT missile should remain in effect.

This is reinforced if you read the additional explanitory text on page
12 of
the Fleet Book.  There, it does states (under the PDS section):

    "Against Fighter or SMBs, roll 1 die per PDS ...".

Clearly, the rules changes for PDS against missiles don't extend to the
older
MT missiles, otherwise the text would have read "Fighters and Missiles"
instead of "Fighters and SMBs".

> Similarly, the "Class-1 beam batteries as point defence" only talks
about
> "missiles" without specifying "missile salvoes". Therefore, class-1s
kill
> MT-style missiles on rolls of 5 and 6 under the FB1 rules.

I believe you are wrong again.	While the text on Class 1 PDS on page 7
don't
specifically mention missile >salvos<, the text on page 12 *does*.
Again, a
quote:

   "... scores of 5 or 6 kill 1 fighter or 1 missile from SM salvo."

To me, this is a pretty clear indication that the older More Thrust
rules
concerning point defense against MT Missiles remain in effect - even for
FLeet
Book designs.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
  visit the Gear Locker at http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: RE: [SG] Wandering mines (was: NAC SAS rescues hostage. . .) Next: Re: Kzinti Miniatures