Prev: Re: NSL, Not Nazis. Next: Re: [SG] NAC SAS rescues hostage from sword-wielding peasan

[SG] NAC SAS rescues hostage from sword-wielding peasants [long]

From: Paul Lesack <lesack@n...>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 09:00:59 -0800
Subject: [SG] NAC SAS rescues hostage from sword-wielding peasants [long]

My wife Cheryl and I played a relatively ludicrous game of
Stargrunt a couple of nights ago; I thought a report to the list
may lessen the FT load.. . .

The game consisted of the following:
2 3-man teams of New Anglian Confederation SAS (Cheryl)

2 3-man teams of green and regular Federal Stats Europa Free
Quebeckers
1 5-man indigenous archer team, green
1 6-man indigenous sword wielding peasants, green
1 hostage
Morale on my side was Steady, at best.

All my troops had piss-poor leaders. My BEST was a leader 2.

The peasants were wearing chain mail, which, of course, is about
as effective at stopping a bullet as a kleenex suit. It did,
however, reduce their movement to a crawl.

Ranges of weaponry in SG depend ENTIRELY on the training of the
unit. Needless to say, the SAS had the advantage against my green
troops.

Cheryl's mission was to rescue the hostage and get her off the
same edge of the board as they came in on.

The SAS came in, skirting the extreme range of my archers (a
whopping 6") A 3-man Frenchy team emerged from cover to open
fire, inflicting no casualties, but at least inflicting
suppression. The SAS had no problem shedding their
suppression,and their accurate fire cut down my team in its
entirety.

Cheryl made a sneaky flank ploy with her other SAS unit. She
managed to draw out the sword-wielding peasants, who charged
toward her with wild abandon (what else could they do? They're
poorly trained, yet brave peasants).  The lack of ranged weaponry
became a major drawback, as her SAS team mowed them without
blinking an eye. 5 out of 6 men dead, with the last one wounded.
They surrendered to the SAS team, and now Cheryl was burdened
with a bleeding prisoner.

My archers suffered a similar fate due to bad positioning (it was
getting late). This time, however, they routed as the first shots
ripped through the ranks. Without even returning fire, they
surrendered. The SAS had to drag around 5 prisoners, one of them
wounded and screaming for medical attention (which could easily
have been forthcoming, but Cheryl decided not to).

All I had left was one 3 man team, green. In a fit of
desperation, they engaged the incoming SAS, as the closer team
was filled with their own prisoners. They inflicted no
casualties, but one of the FSE team went down with a bullet in
the head from return fire. Another was injured but was stabilised
at the scene. Discretion being the better part of valour, the
last mobile infantryman started to pull back towards cover, but
was encumbered by the wounded trooper.

The SAS charged in for the final assault. The wounded trooper was
left lying on the ground as the last Quebecker stood to meet his
fate. Unsurprisingly, three SAS men had no difficulty in
dispatching him.

The hostage was now free. The NAC SAS had a total of 6 prisoners,
two of them wounded. They suffered no casualties at all, and
morale was exceedingly high.

They had no difficulty in walking back the 250m to their APC, and
they all got medals afterward, but they couldn't tell anybody.

As you can probably tell, this game didn't take very long. I hope
to play it again, but this time to actually inflict casualties on
the SAS, which was my real goal.

Oh well.

Paul

Prev: Re: NSL, Not Nazis. Next: Re: [SG] NAC SAS rescues hostage from sword-wielding peasan