Prev: Re: Encyclopedia Test Pages Next: Re: (GZG Encyclopedia) Hey how can I contribute?

Re: ARRRGHHHH!!! ( Was Re: Rules for BFG/FT Conversion.)

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 10:20:33 -0500
Subject: Re: ARRRGHHHH!!! ( Was Re: Rules for BFG/FT Conversion.)

At 11:04 PM 1/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>John C wrote:
>
>>   Lunar Class Cruiser
>>	MASS: 145
>>	Strong Hull (52 DP)	       52
>>	10 Points of Armor	       10
>>	THRUST: 2		       13
>>	FTL			       13
>>	Screen Level 2		       14
>>		ARMAMENTS
>>	6xClass 2 Batteries	       12*
>>	1 SML with a 4 load Magazine   11
>>	2xPDS				2
>>	Lance System		       16
>>	2xFireCons			2
>>
>> *These are 3 arc guns; the MASS could probably be shaved down a
>> little--not enough to make much difference, though.
>
>	Well, I came up with the 2-arc-Class-2s for one reason:
Broadside-only
>arcs.

I know; I just thought that the restricted arcs would allow you to
justifiably reduce the mass a little.  By .5 mass, perhaps.

>> It's not THAT much bigger than yours; would it be workable?	That's
>> without reducing the MASS of the Lance Emitter--that would bring it
down
>> to 141...shave off a point of armor, and you are at 140.
>
>	I noticed several errors in your calcuations.  First is an error
in the
>area of Hull and DP; 40% of 145 is 58, not 52.  Secondly, the MASS for
>the engines is wrong; 10% of 145 is 14.5 rounding up to 15.  The same
>for the screens and FTL.

Ummmm....oops?	I'm not sure what happened; I was using one of the FTFB
Excell spreadsheets.  I must have become confused somewhere along the
way.
I blame society.  Or putting in some wrong numbers somwhere along the
way.

[Snip]
>			TOTAL MASS: 160
>				    ^^^
>	You are off by 15 MASS.

It was...it was...a test, yeah, that's the ticket!  A test of your ship
building abilities!  You passed with flying colors...now, if you will
excuse me, I need to bang my head against a nearby wall.

>> I do, by the way, like your Ramming rules.  Using the Hull strength
>> makes sense.  I'd still want to add some kind of Ram, to increase
damage
>> a bit more (Too many years of Car Wars.  Gotta love those Ram Plates,
>> don't you?), but that might be just guilding the lily.
>
>	Well, I was think that the ram was merely a reflection of the
>re-inforced nature of the ship hull strength.	The tougher the ship,
the
>stronger the ram.  I didn't want to make a ramming ship invulunerable
>(though I can be if it rolls a 0 or negetive interger), I just wanted a
>way to make ramming a more appealing option for people playing BFG/FT
>games.
>
>--
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

Have you ever gamed with a guy who just *likes* to ram?  Even when it
makes
no sense at all?  Just because it's "cool"?  Some people are like that.
Normal people, I agree, need some kind of incentive.  Are you going to
keep
the "Crew must roll to avoid panic" rule?

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: Encyclopedia Test Pages Next: Re: (GZG Encyclopedia) Hey how can I contribute?