Prev: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course) Next: FCT working group

Re: Tractor beam.

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:19:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Tractor beam.

>To any and all who wish to comment.
>
>Caution PSB crossing.
>

>Tractor beam:
>
>The tractor beam fot FT/MT/FB has the same mass, range and cost
>as the beam weapon it replaces.   The only change is that the
>T-beam ignores screens on the 'to hit roll'. (consider it an
>area effect weapon).
>     The effect is to reduce the speed of the target ship by
>one or two depending on the result of the to hit/damage roll
>(Rerolls if you desire).   The effect of the T-beam/s are
>cumulative.
>
>This rule (if used) requires the insertion of a T-beam resolution
>phase just prior to the movement phase.   The T-beam results are
>applied to the target ships immediately.   the ships hit by the T-beam
>try to carry out the written orders from the order writing phase at the
> new speed value generated as a result of the T-beam firing.
>
>     An alternate, (that I prefer), system of resolving the T-beam:
>During the firing phase the T-beam draws the target ship closer to
>the attacking ship or reduces the target ships speed by one or two
>at the option of the attacker.
>note:	 Both options may be used concurrently.
>
>     Any ship not activly tryint to aviod the t-beam may be placed
>'in tow' and acceleraed at two thrust per T-beam.   Ships towing
>may make a one point turn per T-beam on the towed object.
>

>Comments.
>

>Bye for now
>John L..

Forget conservation of momentum? If the target ship is pulled
(redirected as though by thrusters?) toward the firing ship by
1 MU, the firing ship should also be pulled toward the target
ship by a similar amount (per ratio of masses, rounded to nearest
unit).

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com
samuel_reynolds@csgsystems.com

Prev: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course) Next: FCT working group