Prev: Tractor beam. Next: Re: [LST] GZGE Request

Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:35:27 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course)

Stop the car?? This is a car chase! I went through considerable trouble
to set this up. wrote:

> o CVE: Mass 30, Weak Hull, Thrust-6, 1x Hangar Bay, 2x PDS, 1x Armour;
103
>     pts  -  ZEPHYR CLASS  (yes, based on Weber's "Insurrection"
tin-can CVEs)

> CVE - Looking for a cheap way to deliver fighters to a theater of
operations
> without dedicating one of the specialized carriers or dreadnought
ships, the
> NAC came up with these 'tin can' carriers. These are generally
assigned to
> Destroyer Squadrons or Cruiser-Destroyer Groups where having a
dreadnought or
> one of the specialized carriers would be overkill, but yet where some
presence
> of fighters is desireable. As these ships look identical to the
TICONDEROGA
> DDs, it generally is impossible for an enemy to determine which is
which until
> either the ship in question fires weapons or launches fighters. This
has given
> more than a few raiders and skirmish instigators a surprise when a
couple of
> 'lowly' destroyers suddenly disgorge a flight of fighters. Of course
these
> ships were not meant to stand up there with the TICONDEROGAs, so an
enemy may
> figure out they are CVEs by their hanging back, and take appropriate
action.

OK, do you have a date of introduction for these guys?	I'm going to rip
off the concept, more or less.	I was going to credit the introduction
of these things into the NRE fleet to some unpleasant surprises during
the Romanov War, from 2168-2175.  NAC was shipping arms to the Romanovs,
the NRE objected (duh!) and took action to prevent, and the NAC took to
escorting with DesRons, including these CVEs.  After loosing two de la
Valette class Battlecruisers, the NRE decides "Hey, this is Nifty
Concept" and converts some of their heavy DDs to the "DV"
configuration.	What do you think?

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Tractor beam. Next: Re: [LST] GZGE Request