Prev: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course) Next: Tractor beam.

Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:20:59 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

Andrew & Alex wrote:

(I tried to live and let live, but apparently we can't live with someone
saying "Your house rules don't work for me")

> >And no reason the two can't coexist.
>     But you may be looking for something that doesn't really exist.

???  From a batallion commander's perspective, either his air support
arrives, or not.  If not, there are two reasons--either it's got a
higher priority mission, or it's been shot down.  If it's shot down by
patrolling interceptors, that's completely beyond his scope--he cannot
influence it in the slightest.	So it's an influence on the battlefield,
but indirectly.  Hence can be abstracted out with no loss in game play.

> Modelling a Theatre Range Air Defence with a physical device like my
TADS is
> realistic and gives you a general air defence rating, that covers the
table

Nonsense--chopping a single THAAD down to a batallion commander is no
more realistic than chopping a MIRVed ICBM down to a BN Cdr.  A general
"Air Defense Environment" is more flexible, allowing for an entire
theater of air warfare to be off-stage, rather than an artificial "OK,
here's your batallion with it's organic strategic SAMs".

>     To make it out of the influence of the on-table force commander,
put it
> off table. That way it can't be directly attacked by on-table enemy
forces.
> Only a wild weasel type mission by enemy aerospace assets can take it
out.

I'm not talking about the enemy on-table commander, but the friendly
one.  An armored batallion has no more business expecting to have a
Patriot assinged to it than it does having a battleship assigned to it.
And besides, those things come in batteries--6 Patriot launchers and one
control center, for instance.  Now we've gone to 24,000 points.   Plus
the control vehicle.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [FT] NAC Fleet Roster (unofficial, of course) Next: Tractor beam.