Prev: Re: NI/NAC AAR & Stealth Next: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.

Re: Rules for BFG/FT Conversion.

From: "Mark A. Siefert" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:29:54 -0600
Subject: Re: Rules for BFG/FT Conversion.

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Holofields - well. If you're using Cinematic movement (which I think
you
> should), I'd up the speed requirements considerably since not even my
> Thrust-4 ships usually fly as slow as speed 12 - but I know I like
flying
> fast :-/  The Holofield would simply be a Level-2 screen in my games.

	Yup, I'm using cinematic.  It's better for first time players
which is
what these rules are aimed at.
	As for the velocity/screen level, I was simply throwing out some
logical numbers.  How about increments of 10" instead?

> If you want to mirror the BFG holofields they should be very effective
> against lances and torpedoes but not that impressive against the
normal
> weapons; with pulse torps as lances you get exactly the opposite
effect.
> Not sure what to do about it, though Aaron have some ideas that could
> work.

	I'm re-thinking the lances as well as weapons batteries.  I'm
thinking
of using John Crimmins idea of using the HBW instead of pluse torps.
Since JT has finalized any Mass/Pts cost of HBWs yet, I was trying to
stay as close to the fleet book as possible.

As for the batteries, how about this idea for conversion.

	BFG Battery range determines FT battery class. (e.g. 30 cm =
class 2
batt, 45 cm = class 3).  Every 2 points of BFG firepower equals one FT
battery.
	So a a Chaos ship's port battery with a range of 60 and a
firepower of
4 would be represented by two class 4 batteries.

> The sailing rules look fine, but I'd drop the changing wind direction.
> The solar wind generally comes from the nearest star, and somehow I
doubt
> if it changes its location very fast (unless the battle is fought in
the
> vicinity of a double star, perhaps? :-) ) It can be quite a challenge
> maneuver a sailing craft on the table anyway; random wind directions
make
> it rather difficult for the Eldar player to plan ahead. At least
that's
> what I remember from my attempts some years back :-/

	I don't know where anyone got the idea that you roll for wind
direction
each turn.  You roll once at the begining of the game, that's it.
--
Later,
Mark A. Siefert

	"[When people] say 'let's do something about it,'
they mean 'lets get hold of the political machinery so that
we can do something to somebody else.' And that somebody is
invariably you."
					--Frank Chodorov

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu		WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: Re: NI/NAC AAR & Stealth Next: Re: DSII - Air Defence Levels.