Prev: Re: Encyclopedia Galactica - Technical Details Next: Re: [DSII] DFO Pods

Re: NI stealth project

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:46:08 +0100
Subject: Re: NI stealth project

John Leary wrote:

>      Weapons equipment isn't really important because it is all the
> same, it's the apparent degredation of the weapons that bothers me.
>      With the target at 22 inches in the prior example, and the
> stealth ship on the sensors, and the 'A/3' battery able to fire
> normally, I just cannot justify the inability of the 'B/2' to
> fire/hit.

But the 'A/3' battery *isn't* able to fire normally (2 dice). It is able
to fire at only half strength (1 die) at range 22 if the target is
Stealthed.

>      I hope the additional comments clarify my understanding of
> what 'stealth' and ECM (WW) are and the fact that they are not really
> the same.

They do clarify it, and they confirm my impression that our premises are
very different indeed.

> (Even if they accomplish similar things in different ways.)

The effects are close enough to being the same that the same game
mechanics can be used for'em IMO :-)

> Stealth is a passive system and has no value once defeated.

Not from what I've heard of today's stealth shapes. They (occasionally)
allow the target to shake off targetting radars, if only for short
periods of time; if this happens in a space battle you'll get very
similar effects to what I described.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Encyclopedia Galactica - Technical Details Next: Re: [DSII] DFO Pods