Prev: Re: [DS] Engineering systems size Next: Re: [SG2] Urban combat

Re: [DS] Engineering systems size

From: "John M. Atkinson" <john.m.atkinson@e...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:47:33 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Engineering systems size

Thomas Anderson wrote:

> > CEV/armour repair package: Don't know. Biggish - call it 10 to 15
cap
> > points. I haven't got my DS2 book n front of me.
>
> for recovery, i'd say something like 3 x size of vehicle to be
recovered.
> john atkinson has 5 x size, which would mean dedicated ARVs. this
makes
> sense, so we should probably go with it. i hate to say it, but ... he
is
> the ... ex... pert... here. phew. that was tough :-).

Actually, I'm Not.  ARVs are not engineerng vehicles.  They belong to
the Ordnance Corps or somesuch.  Different bunch of folks altogether.
I'm just going off what I know about tanks in general--almost every
batallion with recovery vehicles (in a maintinence platoon) has recovery
vehicles based on the primary vehicle used by the batallion.

> as for a general engineering package, i just say 8 cp, like all the
other
> big special packages (hq, troops). i think breaking it down with the
> degree john proposes is unnecessary; to use a borrow from the man, it
is
> "below ds2's level of granularity". after all, that would make
engineering
> stuff as detailed as guns, and that's not appropriate in a game,
unlike
> real life.

Depends on what you want to do. . . :)	I'll be running a deliberate
attack during GZG-ECC, with the defenders having some serious obstacle
options (I'll be acting as the Staff Engineer for both sides in addition
to Umping), and this might come into play.

I guess the short answer is that I don't want to see someone out there
with an ACE mini (Scotia makes 'em, I got some) out there claiming he's
blowing up bunkers, putting out fires, and recovering tanks all at the
same time.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [DS] Engineering systems size Next: Re: [SG2] Urban combat