Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped

[ot] terminology nitpick was Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: Thomas Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:53:34 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [ot] terminology nitpick was Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
> Richard Slattery wrote:
> > actually manage to fire off all your sml's.
>
> How do you fire *off* the SMLauncher? Do you throw it at the enemy
ships?
> ;-) (Terminology nitpick: You fire SMs (Salvo Missiles) from an SML
> (Salvo Missile Launcher) or SMR (Salvo Missile Rack). I've heard some
> people discussing launching ICBM silos; that's pretty much the same
> error...)

well, if i fire a bullet from a gun, i am firing the gun. if i fire an
SM
from an SML, i am firing the SML. however, it is clear from the context
that richard meant SMs, not SMLs, and this is certainly a very common
error. mind you, there are a lot of very common terminology/spelling
errors on the internet (although this list is better than most places)
and
it doesn't hinder communications too much.

Tom

Prev: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems Next: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped