Prev: Re: Leading with Escorts (was Directional screens (armor dropped Next: [ot] terminology nitpick was Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:33:07 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

Schoon wrote:

> >Add all hardened systems together, then round up. Even 0.25 should
round
> >up - otherwise you're getting the hardening for free, which you
> >shouldn't.
>
> This I question. I would prefer to be able to do things on a
per-system
> basis. It keeps things clean and simple, and allows ship design
without
> spreadsheet.

Well... I'd say it does anyway - I've never used a ship design
spreadsheet at all, preferring the old pen-and-paper as being faster
(and
available on the bus, etc).

Rounding the system Masses up individually means that you're back in the
50% mass penalty (or worse) for everything except screens, SM magazines
and Class 3+ batteries - which makes the hardening pretty much
worthless.
Unless you allow rounding *down*, of course - but that in turn means
that
you can harden your FCs for free, with obvious balance problems.

> >Balance-wise, they should ideally be exactly as effective as their
normal
> >counterparts... if they're *less* effective, I see no reason to use
them.
> >The few times when they save me from really rotten luck won't hide
the
> >many times they lose me the battle instead <shrug>
>
> Good point. Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I agree entirely
on
> the balance concept. What I should have said was that they need an
> adequate "minus" to balance the "plus." This is why we're arguing the
> mass penalties et. al. ;-)

Yep, agree with this definition :-)

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com