Prev: Re: Hardened Systems Next: RE: FT-ST thoughts (was: RE: Directional armor & shields)

Re: Hardened Systems

From: "By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:45:54 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Hardened Systems

I personally am not into the 'hardening' issue for a number of reasons,
one of which is I assume the systems are already 'hardened', and that
the core systems are 'doubly-hardened' because they are in the INTERIOR
of the ship, not near the exterior sections of the ship(s). The idear
is that you have to peel away quite a bit of hull structure to even get
to those systems. So in you view it that way, the 'hardening' arguement
is a moot point, totally. You can't harden a firecon or a battery
because
they need to have components at the exterior of the ship in order to
function properly, and *those* are the bits that get hit on threshold
checks. By the time 50% of your hull structure is gone (half the ship!),
THEN you can start hitting the core systems (assuming you use them,
which
I don't; at least, not at the level they are represented in the FB).

But that's not why I'm replying.  :-)

>Listen to me - I hate random effects (If I knew of a diceless space
>combat game, I'd be all over it),

One word: WarpWar.  :)

Mk
-
  /@		       .  .	      If you insist on reaching for a
  <|\			  .  )	      star, be prepared to take a long,
   |		     /\ 	      hard fall.
   |		    //
   /		 o //*		      Indy - climber, astronomer,
adventurer
  /		<%- /|\ 	      supreme. Have rope, will travel.

Prev: Re: Hardened Systems Next: RE: FT-ST thoughts (was: RE: Directional armor & shields)