Prev: Re: [FT] Progress report - sourcing "Centauri compatible" ships Next: Re: Directional armor & shields

Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:12:26 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Hardened Systems

[snip]

>For systems (weapons, FCs, screens etc) 50% is way too much. In these
>cases, hardened systems should have 25% extra Mass and "softened" ones
>(ie, systems which add 1 to all treshold rolls, so they fail the first
>check on 5+ etc) should get a 20% Mass rebate. The cost per Mass
>shouldn't change.
>
>(I can give you the statistics supporting this as well, but it'll take
me
>several evenings to type it in :-(  )

Did someone say statistics?

Cumulative chance of loosing the system

Regular system:
1st: 16%
2nd: 50%
3rd: 100% (note that this doesn't mean it's automatically gone - it's
just
statistically gone)

Hardened system:
1st: 0%
2nd: 16%
3rd: 50%

2 x Regular system:
1st: 8%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 50%
(But you also have the advantage of being able to use both until they're
gone!)

So a 50% mass increase is actually not too far off.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] Progress report - sourcing "Centauri compatible" ships Next: Re: Directional armor & shields