Prev: Re: [FT] Split Arcs Next: Re: [FT] Split Arcs

Re: Campaign tech levels (research approach) - (was: FTFB: Scenerio + Q?'s)

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:56:55 -1000
Subject: Re: Campaign tech levels (research approach) - (was: FTFB: Scenerio + Q?'s)

>Oh this sound sooo cool! 8D
>
>The only thing I can think of to improve it:  Require a player to wait
>turn or two before receiving the advancement.	This would slow down
mid-game
>instant tech achievements.  (ie: After a player controls a few worlds,
he
>can spend more on research, and still stay within the research %
limits...)

>Or am I going off the deep end?
>
>Donald Hosford

I think that the solution is to make it a multi-step process to
implement
the technology.  First research it, as in the chart.  Then refit
construction yards (a 1 or 2 month process), then begin construction or
refits on actual ships.  If you place a maximum of how many construction
points can be allocated to an individual ship each turn, then fighters
may
be built in a single turn, while larger ships have a natural slowdown.
Another benefit is that different shipyards have different capabilities.
Your home yards may have recently upgraded to building class-3 beams,
while
an outlying shipyard still can only build class-2.  So you prioritize
what
gets built where, adding much more flavor.  The same holds true for
repairs.  Maybe your ship/repair yard near the front lines can't handle
pulse torps - so if you want to repair a ship that has had it's pulse
torps
destroyed, you might be forced to install something else, instead
(perhaps
your only p-torps yard has gotten toasted...)

Anyway, that's probably enough rambling for now.

Jared Noble

Prev: Re: [FT] Split Arcs Next: Re: [FT] Split Arcs