Prev: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters? Next: Campaign tech levels (research approach) - (was: FTFB: Scenerio + Q?'s)

RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters?

From: -MWS- <hauptman@c...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 18:55:14 -0800
Subject: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters?

At 11:49 AM 1/8/99 +1100, you wrote:
>I wouldn't give them the attack fighter benefits as well as needle
>beams.
>How about an entirely new type of fighter, instead of rehashing old
>ones?
>
>Needle fighters attack ships using the needle beam rules & attack
>fighters using the needle beams as their antifighter weapon (5-6 kills
1
>fighter, no rerolls).	Cost it at 30 points/squadron (5 per ship).
>Every fighter in the squadron must target the same system & each
fighter
>rolls needle beam vs that system.   Having only the one mode of fire
>shouldn't unbalance play, as needle beam damage can be repaired (unlike
>needle missiles).

Well, normal Needle Beam fire from ships can *not* be repaired, which is
why I neutered them so severely in the proposal - no way do I feel
comfortable allowing fighters to roll one needle beam attack per
fighter.
Two consecutive attacks and the ship under attack is likely to be gutted
by
one group targetting the drives.

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
  visit the Gear Locker at http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: RE: [FTFB] "Needle" fighters? Next: Campaign tech levels (research approach) - (was: FTFB: Scenerio + Q?'s)