Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure Next: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...

[SG2] Vehicle Questions...

From: agoodall@i... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 01:25:57 GMT
Subject: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...

Hi, Gang.

Okay, over the holidays I ran my Traveller scenario a few more times.
I've got
a scenario that I like, now, that seems balanced and interesting.
However, I
still have a couple of questions with regards to vehicles.

1) I need a clarification on the bailout rules. The rules state that
when a
vehicle is immobilized any occupants must make a TL3 Reaction Test, or
bail
out immediately. However, there is no such requirement for a vehicle
that is
disabled or destroyed. In the game, I required a TL3 reaction roll for
disabled and destroyed vehicles as well. Does this seem to make sense,
or am I
missing something? Also, if the TL3 roll is made for passengers in a
destroyed
vehicle, I did not force them to bail out immediately, but did require
that
they exit the vehicle on their first activation. Does this make sense?
Or can
they stay in the vehicle?

2) Where do figures go when they bail out? When spending an action to
leave a
vehicle, the figures are allowed to move 6" away from the vehicle. What
about
when they are forced to bail out? Do they get a free move action? Or are
they
moved to just outside of the vehicle? I did the latter, basically
leaving them
out in the open (until they did a move action to get around behind a
vehicle.

3) How big is a vehicle in Line of Sight terms? Does the entire vehicle
block
LOS even when it is stationary? This is the easiest way to do it, but
then the
vehicle becomes a BIG LOS block compared to its "real life" size. Any
suggestions?

Those were the questions. Now I need some opinions.

My Power Armour guys were armed with Traveller PGMP-14s. These I had as
D6
Firepower, D12 Impact. The rules in SG2 include situations where a squad
fires
small arms at a vehicle, and includes rules for squads firing support
weapons
capable of penetrating a vehicle. However, this is a special case.

You see, my squads of 4 PA guys consist--essentially--of 4 guys carrying
support weapons. Each guy is capable of firing upon, and penetrating, a
vehicle. The problem is that the SG2 rules don't actually handle
multiple
support weapons against vehicles. (Imagine a WW2 scenario with three or
four
guys firing panzerfausts at a single tank, and you have similar
problems.)

So, how should I resolve these weapons firing on a vehicle? I came up
with 4
options. I'd like your choice of option (or another option, if you have
better idea, or if I've missed something in the rules).

1) Fire the weapons like a small arms unit. The four guys would roll a
quality
die plus 4D6 against the vehicle. On a major hit, the dice are divided
by the
range die to get the number of weapons that hit. These are then rolled
for
penetration. (I tried this, but the weapons seemed unduly bloody, with
almost
every vehicle brewing up...)

2) Fire the weapons like a small arms unit, as in #1, but only roll ONE
die
for penetration versus armour. This allows for a lot of easy hits, but
penetration becomes a crap shoot.

3) Allow all four guys to roll as individuals. That is, they each roll a
quality die plus a D6, and roll for penetration individually.

4) Allow the guys to fire in teams of two. Each team rolls a quality die
plus
2D6, but makes only one penetration roll. I tried this and it seems to
work
well, but I have a hard time justifying it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Allan Goodall		       agoodall@interlog.com

Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure Next: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Questions...