Prev: RE: Time to speak of many... Re: Gas Skimmers, Wings and Things Next: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Adrian Johnson <ajohnson@i...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:22:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

>for bonus security, the challenge sequence would include a timestamp,
>protect against 'playback' attacks where the enemy records  an IFF
>challenge and plays it back to stimulate and IFF tag. all IFF units
would
>need synchronised time - this can be got from the GPS system. also, the
>scanner's id should be attached to the tag's message, so that multiple
>simultaneous scans do not interfere.

Just a thought here.  If you kill all my GPS satellites, I can still use
compass.  If you kill all my GPS satellites and that perhaps does away
with
the time synchronization of my IFF, my tanks will kill me (or my
computers
won't work, or whatever).

This system should be integral to the IFF unit and the interrogating
unit -
not requiring "third party" input to operate properly - 'cause that
leaves
you open to spoofing/ew/etc.  It would take some effort to kill a GPS
sat
net (with what, 26 satellites or something like that) - but if the
payoff
were that the enemy's systems all crapped out and their own weapons
killed
them - it might be worth the effort.  And you wouldn't need to take out
ALL
the satellites, just enough to create gaps in coverage.

Prev: RE: Time to speak of many... Re: Gas Skimmers, Wings and Things Next: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt