Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure Next: Re: Gas Skimmers OT SFB Space Monsters

Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:40:39 -1000
Subject: Re: [FT][SG][DS] structure of the NAC

>Adrian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
>> I understand exactly where you're coming from - this point has been
raised
>> twice now.  As I said in my response to John, when the NAC was
founded,
it
>> was ONLY Quebec, Canada, the UK, and the various bits of the former
US.
>> assumed that the significant Hispanic portion of the population in
the
US
>> and Les Quebecois would have a real problem joining a new state which
>> didn't give them protection for their language and culture -
particularly
>> given that the Quebecois had gone through the process of gaining
>> independance and the Hispanics had just finished fighting a race
war...

>And you'd have to think that the asian majorities in some areas would
>be demanding language protection too. Then again, if most docs are
>electronic, and translation programs are good quality, and computers
>can speak and be spoken to by those not literate, then maybe ANY
>language would be available relatively easily.

Firstly, if 'race conflicts' are partially responsible for the US
Collapse
as has been posited, might there be some amount of people leaving?
perhaps
returning to the lands of their ethnic heritage, or at least other
countries that aren't having so many problems.	While this may be
temporary, it could change the population spread at the beginning of the
NAC formation (OK - I realize this one isn't too likely, but I thought
I'd
throw it out.)

Secondly, I really thing I have to agree with Tom's suggestion -
Electronic
Docs and multi-lingual computer translation are going to be ubiquitous
by
the time we're talking about.  If a region (say Brasil) wants to handle
internal affairs in Portuguese, that's great.  On the top NAC level,
though, I think English would be the dominant language of government,
and
so the representative that Brasil to the NAC Parliament, His Lordship
the
Earl of Sao Paulo, Joao Ferreira de Almoco, would conduct business of
state
in English.  I don't think this would be too difficult to imagine.  Most
people in goverment are well educated (scruples are a separate issue)
and
more and more 'well educated' means multi-lingual.

So NAC level stuff is conducted in english, available in basically any
language you want. Regional is conducted in the Dominant language of the
Region (Portuguese for Brasil, Spanish for Argentina, Mexico, Chile,
etc.)
Local and community can change as well.

>> So, my version of the NAC has integral protection for Spanish and
French
>> built in from the beginning.
>
>I think it should be for any language in an area where there is a
>significant minority population, else I think the asian groups along
>the western seaboard would be uninterested in reintegrating with the
>NAC.

Yes. See below.

>> Also, this conveniently works with the fact that the NAC absorbs
Central
>> and South America later - they would have been more prepared to be
absorbed
>> knowing that Spanish was protected in the NAC anyway...  (OK - Brazil
is
>> rather significant wrinkle, given that they speak Portugese, and
there's
>> 120 million of them...  but we can iron that out later...)

Well, if you delivered services in any language required, you'd just
extend that universal policy to Brazil.

Yep - with the understanding that their representative to Parliament
will
beconducting business in English.

>  You could imagine a nightmare scenario, with the FSE backing Spanish
> insurgents throughout the NAC sphere...  hey, wait a minute...  that
might
> be interesting...  hmmm

Good thoughts guys - is anyone collecting and collating these ideas for
new history of the NAC?

Jared Noble

Prev: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure Next: Re: Gas Skimmers OT SFB Space Monsters