Prev: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:51:16 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

Brian spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> > > One thing I could see happening is a change in anti-infantry
tactics for
> > > tanks. Since you are proposing an automatic d10 attack on any
infantry I
> > > have this vision of people rushing their tanks up to an infantry
squad and
> > > *POW*.
> >
> > I don't think so. Here's a question: How is the APFC triggered? What

> > stops trees, fences, etc. from setting it off? Just asking this so
> > that I can envision what kind of counters the infantry might devise
> > to deal with this annoyance. I can see tactics evolved to strip a
> > tank of its APFC screen.
> >

> I more or less envision APFCs being controlled & triggered by a
> combination of sensors, esp. IR, proximity decetors, and target
> recognition systems, all controlled by a fast computer. Thus, a tree
would
> trigger the proximity detectors, but fail to trip the IR or target ID
> systems, thus the computer wouldn't trigger APFC charges. A human
target
> would trip the IR, prox and ID sensors, and eat a flechette load. It's
not
> an entirely independant system - it draws from the vehicles overall
sensor
> net, and is tied into the target ID system.

Hmm. And you thought they weren't fast enough to attack GMS? (grin).
I think in order to do the level or target recognition with multiple
sensors you are thinking of (reliably), the system had better be
blazing fast. If I have to lock up a target, determine it is not an
obstacle or friendly force, is a valid target, and engage, it has to
be fast.

The problem with this is if the system uses systems like pulsed
doppler radar (looking for the doppler shift of a moving target), IR
(looking for the heat of a valid target), or shape (using visual
shape recognition) and requires more than one of these to
corroborate, I can see modern infantry evolving equipment around that
- IR masking battle dress (esp those in partial armour or full
armour), a ghillie suit (to break up your human shape, and some form
of portable battlefield radar jammer. Also, I'd be sure to evolve a
way where I could throw an arty shell or a man portable attack of
some type at the target vehicle and get it to detonate its APFC
belts. I'd do this repeatedly to strip the tank. Maybe fake pop up
silhouettes with IR signature packs. That would set off all three of
the above systems.

Anyway, I guess my point is there should be some way for good
infantry to bollix this and cause either no triggering or premature
triggering.

Also, did you envision an APFC able to fire more than once per round?
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt Next: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt