Prev: [FT] After action report - first FB rules game for me . . . Next: Re: Saeed Kaliphate

Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrath@c...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:27:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

"John M. Atkinson" wrote:
> ten or fifteen years.  But thinking on this, and considering various
SF
> I've read, I've decided what we'll likely see will be the subdermal
> implants above, which will be storage units to hold Basic personal
data
> (Name, Rank, SSN), Medical Records, Classification held, Military
> Personell Records Jacket, et al. One would implanted in the back of
the
> skull, another (emergency backup) elsewhere.	Shortrange IFF, required
> to use most military equipment--if you pick up a radio, and you havn't
> got one, it blanks out the frequencies automatically and zeros out the
> crypto gear.

	You'd have to be careful and make the chip "stealthy".
	It wouldn't do to have the enemy equipped with *long* range
	IFF, doing what the friendly IFF does.

	Say, guarding a critical site.	Your soldiers try to infiltrate
	in the dead of night.  Alas, the enemy's IFF technology
	( cloned from your technology ) is busy in the heart of the
	site, broadcasting "identify yourself" queries.

	The hapless infiltration's chips send back their name,
	rank, and security clearance.  The enemy's autoguns swivel
	and blaze away with a volley of homing bullets, which
	impact neatly at the base of each of your soldier's skulls.

Prev: [FT] After action report - first FB rules game for me . . . Next: Re: Saeed Kaliphate