Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:37:44 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt

Glover, spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Well Brian, to me these seem quite workable, although the use of an
extra
> dice against GMS seems a little out of place. The defence roll against
GMS
> is an EW roll. Although it is getting down to multiple die rolls,
perhaps a
> secondary roll of the APFC vs the GMS if teh GMS is successful in
beating
> the tanks EW would be more appropriate.

Pardon? Look again, Mr. Glover! It turns out Brian was against using
these Vs. GMS as DS2 won't let you do this. I think if you did, it
should be a second roll versus GMS if ECM fails.

> One thing I could see happening is a change in anti-infantry tactics
for
> tanks. Since you are proposing an automatic d10 attack on any infantry
> have this vision of people rushing their tanks up to an infantry squad
and
> *POW*.

I don't think so. Here's a question: How is the APFC triggered? What
stops trees, fences, etc. from setting it off? Just asking this so
that I can envision what kind of counters the infantry might devise
to deal with this annoyance. I can see tactics evolved to strip a
tank of its APFC screen.

> I might suggest the owner of teh tank simply stating at the turn if
his APFC
> is ACTIVE or IN-ACTIVE or perhaps place a chit on top of the turret to
> indicate this(OK ALL YOU CHIT HATERS CAN IGNORE THIS!) or mark on a
> sheet/card teh APFC status. As you say this can be computer
controlled.

I like this idea. I think manually firing your APFCs is in fact an
action. Although driving into infantry with this system active may
trigger it.... depending on what it uses for sensors. Stationary
infantry who are prone or in cover may not set it off.

> However I would only play this rule in games when the proposed rules
for
> Vehicle Assault are used otherwise it out balances in favour of the
tank
> even more.

Agreed.

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: [DS2]Moon - Help Requested Next: RE: [SG2] APFCs in Stargrunt