Prev: Re: [DS] Stand size for infantry Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure

Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . .

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:45:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Wave Gun usage in actual games . .

Mark Shurtleff wrote:

> Greetings, all!
>
> Has anyone actually *used* the wave gun effectively in MT or FB games?

Yes, in MT (with and without Vector movement). I haven't used it
effectively in FB yet - the one time I used it in an FB battle, the ship
took a treshold hit from long-range (Class-4) fire on its fully loaded
Wavegun before it could fire :-(

> I'm trying to come up with a consistant 'theme' for my K'rathri fleet

Hm. I miss an "il" somewhere in that name ;-)

> using
> the FB design rules, and an emphasis on Pulse Torps and Wave Guns
> seems like a nice fit with the K'rathrian "scream & leap" psychology.

> However, I don't want to get too far down the design process if the WG
is > either ineffective or *too* effective (and therefore disallowed by
most > players <g>).  Opinions?

Well... WGs are pretty efficient missile- (MT-style) and
fighter-sweepers, especially if use en masse. Six ships line abreast,
each firing a wavegun (or, God forbid, a Nova Cannon) straight ahead,
are
outright *nasty*, especially if the enemy has low-thrust ships. They're
even nastier if you use Vector movement, 'cause it is much easier to
predict where he's going to be. This applies to Nova Cannon as well.

So, well...  if all of your ships have WGs, I wouldn't be surprised if
your opponents complain. If only a few of them do, I at least wouldn't
mind... but it might be worthwhile to try them out before you commit
entirely to this course :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [DS] Stand size for infantry Next: Re: [FT][SG][DS] Canada, the US Civil War II, and the structure