Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: RE: [FT] Scatterguns (was Keeping "Old" RGs)

Modification of beam weapons

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 10:14:58 -0500
Subject: Modification of beam weapons

Hi Guys,

Here are some ideas worth thinking about:

Note:  I caculate the mass of beams without arcs, and then add the mass
per arc
in latter.  It works easier on my spreadsheet.

Class 1 Beams to Replace PDAF's
If you replace PDAF's with class 1 beams, you can then change the mass
of class
1 beams to 0.75 plus 0.25 per arc, and the mass of class 2 beams to 1.5
plus
0.5 per arc.  Class 1 beams will have to be assigned offensive or
deffensive
roll in the orders phase.  This is done by placing a O or D by each
class 1
beam.  They can still fire at other targets types, but at reduced value,
give
the target the benifit of one level higher shields.

Multiple Beam Weapon Turrets and Banks:
If you like the idea of each beam representing a single weapon (I know
this is
hersey), then mulitple weapon mounts make sense for some genres such as
Starblazers, SFB, Battlestar Galatica, etc.  The first beam of a mount
costs
full mass, each additional beam costs 1/2 the mass.  Each arc, including
the
first one, cost the same mass as normal for the number of beams.  But
the
points cost is mass x (3 + 1 per each additional beam).  A double class
3 mount
is designated 33.  Only one threshold check is made for the entire
mount, they
all pass or fail.

Examples.

Weapons:    Number:    Mass:	Arcs:	 Mass Per Arc:	  Points
Multiplier:
Total Mass:	Total Points Cost:
Class 3 	    2		  3		3
1			      3 		    12
36
Class 33	   1		 4.5	      3
2			      4 		    10.5
42

Class 3 	    3		  3		3
1			      3 		    18
54
Class 333	  1		6	      3
3			      5 		    15
75

Class 3 	    4		  3		3
1			      3 		     24
72
Class 3333	 1	       7.5	    3
4			      6 		     19.5
117

As you can see, their is a small mass savings, but you pay for it in
points.
Also, mounts of greater then 3 are not efficient because the points cost
is too
great.	This is intentional.

Most of you guys will probably hate these ideas, but somebody out there
might
find them useful.

IAS

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku Next: RE: [FT] Scatterguns (was Keeping "Old" RGs)