Prev: [OT]Apology Next: [FT] Ship designs

RE: [SGII] Mini review and question for KR

From: Michael Brown <mkkabrow@w...>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 19:03:52 -0800
Subject: RE: [SGII] Mini review and question for KR

Any plans for doing these in 15mm?

Michael Brown

-----Original Message-----
From:	Ground Zero Games [SMTP:jon@gzero.dungeon.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, December 08, 1998 2:50 AM
To:	gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:	Re: [SGII] Mini review and question for KR

>Bought a bunch of Stargrunt Minis a while back which I finally got
>around to popping out of blisters, cleaning up, and priming today.  1
>Question for KR, and a bunch of gratiutous advertisement.

Hope KR and Nic don't mind me jumping in with an answer....

>1st: KR, the New Israeli missle launcher.  OK, where does it go?  For
>those of who've never seen it, there's a neato box missle tube, with a
>cylinder under it, and a trooper with a gauss rifle that has no obvious
>attachment point.  Huh?

The missile operator has a larger backpack than the ordinary troopers.
The
cylinder pivot on the launcher sits in a corresponding pivot depression
on
one side of the backpack, so the launch tube goes over his shoulder.
It's a "hands-free" system for the operator, supported and braced by the
suit.

>2nd: The New Israelis as a whole.  WOW!  I'm glad I never got around to
>buying that platoon of New Swabian infantry.  These all of a sudden got
>bumped up into my Thematic Infantry slots.  Full body armor, gauss
>rifles with grenade launchers, mean-looking SAWs, very cool minis!  I
>even like the command pack with the officer with his helmet off.

I think that one is supposed to be a girl.....	;)

 Looks
>too young to be up this late at night--perfect for young and dumb 2LT.
>(Seriously, we just got a 2LT assigned to our company that looks 14).
>There was more flash on these than is usual for Geo-hex stuff, but
>that's a hell of a high standard in the first place-nothing 10 seconds
>with an exacto couldn't solve.
>
>3rd:Oceanic Union troopers.  Very nice.  Some of them are limited
>utility for me (Maori just don't work in New Roman service) but they do
>include the only uniform line in boonie caps, which makes them my Recon
>troopers.  So I've got 7 blisters on order to go with the one I have
>(that makes 24 dismounts)  Also got some dismounted Light Horse which I
>greatly approve of.  The sniper in Yowie Suit was just too cool to pass
>up, which now forces me to ask, how in HELL do you paint it
>properly?!?.  I know I'm stuck.
>
>I have no business painting these guys up right now (I've got a million
>and one other things that ought to be higher priority right now, like
>the rest of my Dutch Rebellion infantry, 'coz I've got a game this
>Friday I'll need them for) but it's just too cool to pass up.	Kudos to
>KR and also to Nic, since all these are originally Eureka minis.

Yup, Mike Broadbent (who sculpts the figs for Eureka) is producing some
very nice stuff. Just to remind everyone in the UK, it is all available
from us at GZG as well, or course!!
As an aside, over here in the UK we've just had the first two of what
will
be the FCT (Free Cal-Tex) troopers through from our sculptor (Martin
Baker)
- these are REALLY superb, looking VERY much like the infantry from a
certain recent SF movie based on a popular book.... ;)
The first two (male and female with rifles) are going in a mould today,
and
will be available for sale very shortly - more variants should follow
quickly.
These are without doubt the best figures that Martin has produced to
date -
their crispness and detail is well equal to the stuff that Kev White has
done for us in the past, but Martin's stuff is in much more active
poses!
More news as we have it....  :)

Jon (GZG)