Prev: Will the last one out switch off the lights.. Next: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers

RE: [FT] Armour & RG - again

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:18:00 -0000
Subject: RE: [FT] Armour & RG - again

Schoon

FYI this post was is in MIME text/enriched format again?
>From the header:

Are you cutting and pasting into the mail window? Some people
may have problems reading anything but plain ASCII (I'm not
one of them)

>Armour then reduces the number of dice thrown by 1 per level of armour,

>down to a minimum of 1 die. Any shifts that would result in less than
>1 die are treated as negative modifiers on the (to hit) roll.

OK, of all the fixes this one is the best so far. Small problem in that
we are reducing the ability for lower classes to hit, where aim was for
probability of a hit to be the same for all classes all ranges.
However we can get around it by saying the 'to hit' roll is the 'to hit
and penetrate' roll.

Thus the class 1 projectiles hit, but due to their lower mass they
didn't
penetrate the armor and glanced off. It puts a range cap on class 1's,
this is similar to the dRG.

>Now that I come to think of it, you could also simply say that level 1
gives
>a straight -1 "to-hit" across the board without the dice reduction.
Damage
>and "To-hit" are so closely related using this mechanic that the "-1 or
-2"
>need not be thought as being on the to-hit side of the equation.

By extension the same for a level 2, so rather than drop die from the
roll apply the modifiers to the to hit roll that is used as a damage
multiplier. Then you get a similar range reduction for all classes
against Iarmor. So just apply the Iarmor modifier to the to
hit/multiplier
roll.

The only problem is that then all classes have a hard range cap 24Mu for
level 1 and 18Mu for level 2. With the lose a die from the roll the
class 3
can still hit level 2 at max range with a 1/6 chance of doing 3 points
damage.
I think I prefer that option.

Are we done then? or do we need to crunch these options.
what about the shotgun effect and 9 damage points at close
range. Are the costs for the sRG the same as before. 1,3,6?

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Will the last one out switch off the lights.. Next: Re: [SG] Scenario with engineers