Prev: Re: Asteroid combat [was Re: Planet types] Next: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Railguns Number-Crunched

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@n...>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:24:14 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Kra'Vak Railguns Number-Crunched

Steve Arrowsmith wrote:
> Ok Dean, I don't understand any of this -- Torpedoes have the same
range
> and hit numbers of Railguns, and do 1d6 damage at any range..
>
> From what I understand:
>
> Class3 Railgun  0,3,6,9 damage - depending on dieroll
> Class2 Railgun  0,2,4   damage - ""
> Class1 Railgun  0,1	  damage - ""
>
> So how can your chart show a class2 raingun having a higher rating
than a
> torpedoes?

What I showed was Average damage.  The PT rolls 1 to-hit die (chance
depending on range) and then a die for damage (3.5 points on an average
damage roll).
So 3.5 times 5/6 (the chance of a hit at close range 2+) = 2.917 points
average

Class2 Railgun, same range, but 2 dice are rolled to-hit and each one
that
hits does 2 points of damage.  Since 2 dice are rolled to-hit, none,
one, or
both may hit.  So again at 2+ to hit range, 5/6 (chance to hit) times a
damage of 2 = 1.667 points of damage FOR EACH DIE.  Since 2 dice are
rolled,
2 times 1.667 = 3.333 points of damage on average for a Class2 Railgun
at
close range.

Ave Dmg Mult	2+	3+	4+	5+	6
RG 1		1	0.833	0.667	0.500	0.333	0.167
RG 2		2	3.333	2.667	2.000	1.333	0.667
RG 3		3	7.500	6.000	4.500	3.000	1.500
Pulse Torp		2.917	2.333	1.750	1.167	0.583

The Class3 Railgun gets extreme with its 3 dice rolled and each 'hit'
doing
3 points of damage.  As stated before at maximum range, 42% of the time
one
of the 3 dice will be a 6 resulting in a hit and 3 points of damage.
This
is an average damage of  1.5 points at a range of 30" where a Class3
Beam
does .53 points at this range on average.

Dean

Prev: Re: Asteroid combat [was Re: Planet types] Next: [fh ot] Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)