Prev: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars) Next: RE: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

RE: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:09:46 -0000
Subject: RE: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View

Dean wrote:

>I added this because someone mentioned having multiple fire modes for
>railguns, both 'trash can' and the 'shotgun' modes, and it
>seemed to be a neat idea.

We really must be careful about functionitus.
As you aren't married to it, we can probably deprecate it.

>But the MT railguns (like FT2 beam weapons) need some fix, in
>this case, why use a class 3 when 3 class 1's work just as well?  My
spin on
>the railguns is that the larger ones have higher velocities so the
class 3
>has a longer range than a class 1, so now there is a reason to mount
them.

Yes, the other proposed system, uses the same bands as MT and varys
damage
on class and uses a single roll. So its simpler and just as close to the
MT mechanic as this one. It also fixes the RG equivalent class problem
as a class 1 always has a single multiplier while a class 3 has a
potential of a treble multiplier.

>It depends on how you see the K'V's toughness related to
>armor.  With FB armor they basically have a very hard shell which when
>breached lets fire get to the soft and squishy insides of the ship
(think a
>medieval knight).

>On the other hand there is the MT version of armor which
>doesn't give the ship a outer shell but instead makes each hull box
harder to
>damage, plus this ability is never lost

Basically in the MT model every bulk-head and partition in the ship is
armored. The effect would have to apply to all weapons fire. Penetrating
shots wouldn't count, so no rerolls against it.

Also this type of armor may be easier to implement in the design
system to prevent cheese designs.

tim jones
--------