Prev: RE: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View Next: RE: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View

Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

From: "jim clem" <travmind@h...>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 07:22:33 PST
Subject: Re: [GZG][FH] Planet types (was Re: Locations of Stars)

Hi all!  I'm new to the list, and new to GZG, just picked up FT MT and
DS2, great systems.  Anyway, regarding the comments on VTOLs, speed and
carrying capacity.

The fans on a VTOL have the same power output in the dense atmo as a
standard, so, even though more mass will get moved through it, same mass

will be ejected at a lower velocity (conservation of momentum), so, no
increase in speed. Also, drag is a non linear function, generally it is
a function of the square of the velocity of the vehicle, so drag is a
major deal, in fact, the VTOL may even LOSE some speed.

Carrying capacity will not go up, again since the greater mass is
ejected at a lower velocity.  The denser atmosphere gives no advantages,

and creates disadvantages at low altitude.

Just my 0.02 American

By the way, are there any utilities to aid in playing FT and such by E
Mail, I'd love to play someone by that media.

JimC

Prev: RE: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View Next: RE: [FT] FB Kra'Vak - A Simple View