Prev: Re: Getting DU out of your Railgun (drifting OT was Re: [FT] Rai Next: Re: FTFB idea's for Free Cal Tex + SML usage

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 16:54:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

>     A discarding sabot made of the appropriate materials allows the
most
> efficient "push" to the projectile, regardless of what the projectile
is
> made of. Which is why they are used. A short, large diameter barrel is
> easier to manufacture and aim than a long, thin barrel.

Agreed. But I think you'll agree also that a railgun (by nature)
requires such a long thin barrell. And the pressure accelerating the
round is not an expanding fuel air mixture such as in a CPR (HV) gun,
but instead is either gravitic acceleration or electromagnetic
acceleration. I'm not sure the sabot has as much use.

> Andrew Martin

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255