Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: Last Post

Re: Filtering on [GZG-L]

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 20:14:20 +0100
Subject: Re: Filtering on [GZG-L]

Jerry Han wrote:

> >    Now that the new list is up and running, how does everyone feel
about the
> > listserver automatically adding a [GZG-L] or [GZG] tag at the
beginning of
> > every subject line (see my subject line)?
>
> To be honest, I think it doesn't really get you anything.  Most people

> already tuck [OT] or [FT] or [DSII] or whatever in front of their
> posts, and you should be able to sort by the 'to' address or the
> 'source' address of the message.
>
> Right now, for example, I'm filtering on "To:" contains "GZG-L@CSUA",
> which works like a charm.

Except that on my mailer it doesn't catch "gzg-l@CSUA", "GZG-L@csua" or
"gzg-l@csua". I found this out the hard way, having recieved all four
variants over the past few days - so I now have all these variants as
entries. I could (probably) cut it to two, though - "GZG-L@" and
"gzg-l@"
- will try now. (Hopefully no-one will use "GZG-l" or "gzg-L", or some
other combination of upper and lower cases...)

Your entry also won't catch gzg-l@vex.cs.colorado.edu, which seems to be
an alternative address - at least I've recieved Starfire list posts
directed to  "starfire@vex.cs.coloradu.edu" rather than
"starfire@csua.berkeley.edu" several times during the past four years.
The short version (gzg-l@) should work, though.

My (currently) sixth "sort GZG posts" is for those posts that are only
CCed to the list rather than being sent directly - though I really need
two of those rather than just one to catch the variants listed above. I
just haven't had any CCed posts to more than "GZG-L@" yet :-/

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: Last Post