Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: [SG2] EW & Artillery

Getting DU out of your Railgun (drifting OT was Re: [FT] Railgun Goals)

From: PsyWraith@a...
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 12:01:06 EST
Subject: Getting DU out of your Railgun (drifting OT was Re: [FT] Railgun Goals)

In a message dated 11/26/98 7:35:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
devans@uneb.edu
writes:

<SNIP>

> EM railguns always assume ferrous rings for the induced magnetic
charge,
>  but I'm not familiar with the electrical properties of uranium. Would
>  depleted uranium (a metal) be similar to iron as far as magnetism?
Would
>  there BE depleted uranium in a fusion powered world? ;->= Aren't some
of
>  the rare earths near uranium in density, and near iron vis-a-vis
magnetism?

<SNIP>

Just add ferrous material "inserts" to your uranium (or
near-to-uranium's-
density material) to give your railgun something to "grab" if that's a
question.

Prev: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals Next: Re: [SG2] EW & Artillery