Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: [FT] Railguns

Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

From: PsyWraith@a...
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:35:42 EST
Subject: Re: [FT] Railgun Goals

In a message dated 11/25/98 12:49:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
KOCHTE@stsci.edu writes:

> >>My concept of the 'K' railgun.
>  >>
>  >>The 'K' rail gun is a device that throws a stream of small dense
>  >>'BBs' across the path of the target ship.
>  >
>  >One point in favor of larger projectiles; small caliber HiVeloc
rounds
tend
>  >to vaporize on impact.  We use a layer of metal foil to protect
satellites
>  >and space stations against micrometeors today.  Tanks in WWII used
thin
>  >metal plates and spacers to deflect small caliber AP rounds.

Also keep in mind that if we go with the burst railgun concept these
clusters
of "BB's" could very well be bundles of 20-40mm penetrator rods at the
scale
envisoned for Kra'Vak railguns.

Chris Ruhl
SGT USAR
301st PSYOP Company (Airborne)

Prev: Re: Last Post Next: Re: [FT] Railguns