Prev: Re: Fixing Railguns Next: Re: Fixing Railguns

Re: [FT] Railguns

From: John and Roxanne Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:23:57 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Railguns

Wasserman, Kurt wrote:
...Snip...JTL
> RailGun Arcs:
> I have a hard time justifying anything other than a Railgun-1 having
> anything more than 1 firing arc.  As a Kra'Vak player, I would LOVE to
have
> 180 or 360 degree weapons but it doesn't make sense.	Having to
maneuver
> your ship tightly to get a shot is enough of a disadvantage.	If it
ain't
> broke, don't fix it.

XXX
     Basically I agree with you.  JTL
XXX
> Beam Vs. Railgun debate/comparison
> Comparing the two is an exercise in futility.  They can only be
compared so
> far before you lose track of the argument.  What should be looked at
is
> RACIAL weapons and systems.  Take a look here.
>
> KV			  Hu'mans
> ------		  ---------------
> Railguns		  Beam Batteries
> Fighters(Hvy Only)	  Fighters(All flavors available)
> Scatter Guns		  Point Defense systems
>			  Area Defense systems
>			  Capital Missiles
>			  Salvo Missiles

XXX
     Since I am on vacation this week and need some entertainment, I'll
start
another argum...discussion about the 'K'.
     It is a common error to say that the 'K' do not have anything but
'Heavy'
(armored) fighters.   The MT rules no not say anything of the sort.
This quote from page 26, first paragraph, titled 'Kra'Vak fighters' says

it all.  "The fighter groups used by the Kra'Vak are basically the same
as thier human fleet counterparts, except that they are always treated
as
HEAVY FIGHTERS as per the advanced fighter rules....
     The Kra'Vak fighter arm has the same options as the human.   With
the
additional 'freebee' that all fighters are considered as 'Heavy' in
addition
to the primary role.   Yes folks, the days of the Heavy Interceptor,
Heavy
Fast, Heavy attack, Heavy ect have arrived.   (Unless you don't like it,

then a house rule is in order.)   JTL
XXX

> Because the missile capability of the Hu'mans is so extra-ordinary,
should
> something be done to "balance" it?  Once again, as solely a Kra'Vak
player,
> I would LOVE to have Area Defense but I like more the fact that I
DON'T.	It
> makes me play differently than if we had equal technology.  If
everything is
> equal, then the game devolves into ONLy rolling dice.  "My fleet has
13 dice
> of beams, Admiral Pinafore has 13 dice.  We roll.  He rolled
better..."  In
> the words of the Monty Python troupe, "Where's the sport in THAT?"
>
> In summation, <G> I think all these "issues" can be resolved by point
cost
> adjustment.  I don't think a fundamental reworking of weapons systems
is
> needed nor would it be best for the game...  We all remember games
where
> there were sweeping changes from version 1.0 to version 2.0, don't we?
>
> -=Kr'rt
XXX
     Perhaps that is one of the things that I fear will happen.   The
'K'
will turn out the same as the humans (with slightly different weapons).
   I like to play the Kra'Vak because the style is completely different
and quite dangerous.   I like to play against the 'K' for the same
reason!
JTL

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: Fixing Railguns Next: Re: Fixing Railguns