Prev: Re: IFVs Next: Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres

Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

From: Kenneth Winland <kwinland@c...>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 02:02:05 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [ds] Modern Tanks.

	Greetings!

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, The cat that walks by Himself wrote:

> As part of the shooting at tanks in the Gulf War series I am reminded
of the
> British Scorpion recon tank that was hit by an M1. The shot went
through the
> tank wounding one crewman and seriously wounding another, the Scorpion
bugged
> back to base and arrived as a news crew was doing a live feed back to
Britain.
> Why did the M1 shoot at the Scorpion? Because the Iraqis had captured
a small
> number (three I believe) from the Iranians in the previous Gulf War.

	Doh!

	I am amazed by the amount of fratricide in the Gulf.  A total of
81 soldiers and 77% of US Army materiel losses were due to friendly fire
incidents.  They've been talking about IFF measures for a while, but I
guess interest has REALLY stepped up... <g>.

	Later!

	Ken

Prev: Re: IFVs Next: Re: [DS] Tank designs was Re: [ds] Ogres